Matcha cookies. So for the second batch, we added more of the matcha powder like about another tablespoon, which made the matcha taste come out a little more, but made the cookies a darker color and less pretty. We also added a pinch more salt for the second batch because the first one was lacking. I love the flavor of green tea powder in baked European-style sweets.
In order to achieve the same green as the matcha sugar cookies photographed here, use bright green, high quality matcha. Regardless of whether the matcha is labeled as ceremonial, barista, or culinary grade, pay attention to the color! The color is a big indicator of it's quality. You can have Matcha cookies using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Matcha cookies
- It’s 140 g of flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of matcha powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking soda or 1.5 tsp baking powder.
- Prepare 170 g of melted butter (cold).
- Prepare 200 g of brown sugar.
- Prepare 50 g of white sugar.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1 of egg yolk.
- It’s 1 tbsp of vanilla essence.
- You need 255 g of semi sweet chocolate chip.
If desired, dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate and let set. Matcha cookies with almond – buttery and crumbly Japanese matcha (green tea) cookies with almond. Super easy matcha cookies recipe that anyone can make. When I posted the Matcha Roll recipe, I received a few requests from readers asking me to share more green tea (matcha) recipes.
Matcha cookies step by step
- DRY INGREDIENT : Sift flour with matcha powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
- WET INGREDIENT : Melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Then Mix with mixer until smooth.
- Then add in vanilla essence and egg yolk and egg.
- Fold with spatula to not overmix.
- Add dry ingredients gradually once wet ingredients mixed properly.
- As add in more dry ingredients, colour of mixture slowly change to brown to green.
- When dough peel away from side of bowl, stop mixing immediately.
- Put chocolate chips with spatula.
- Scoop about one tablespoon of dough and roll into ball.
- Bake at 325F for 5 minutes at second lowest tray then 25 minutes at second top tray.
The cookies were easy to make and matcha:white chocolate ratio is perfect. They are not crumbly and holds its shape well. I used a leaf cookie press and the indentations hold. This will be my go-to matcha cookie recipe! The addition of green tea leaves and matcha add a fragrant, floral-note to these shortbread-like cookies.